John R. (Jack) Graham was born June 30, 1805, the second child of Enoch and Alsey Graham. On October 31, 1831, he married Elizabeth Clark, daughter of Francis Clark. The marriage was recorded in Mercer County.
The John R. Graham family lived in Clay County when the 1840 census was taken. The following were listed:
According to the census, John R. and Elizabeth were the parents of three sons and four daughters. By 1850, Elizabeth Clark Graham had apparently died as the census for Clay County, Kentucky listed John R. with four sons only:
John R. Graham owned property valued at $1,300. Daughter, Ellen Graham, was living two houses away with the G. W. Gregory family. Susan and Mary Elizabeth Graham, the other daughters of John R. and Elizabeth, have not been found in the census.
Ellen Graham married Henry C. Gregory on February 13, 1857, in Clay County, Kentucky.
Susan Graham married John Henry Fairman in 1856, Boyle County, Kentucky. She died in 1903 at Mexico, Audrain Co., Missouri.
Mary (Polly) Elizabeth Graham married Stith Thompson Noe on May 28, 1861, in Boyle County, Kentucky. Her birth date was December 23, 1835. She died March 22, 1926, in Louisville.
Francis Clark left a detailed will in Boyle County in which he included bequests to his grandchildren, James F. Graham, Susan Fairman, Mary E. Noe, Enoch Graham, Simeon Graham, and Sarah Ellen Gregory.
John R. Graham married a second time. This time he married Nancey Goode on October 8, 1853, in Clay County, Kentucky. They were the parents of four children:
William S. Graham married Richard Florence Johnson, daughter of Sylvanus and Mary Brown Johnson. William was a Whiskey Distiller. He died April 2, 1935, in Bath County, Kentucky. Rebecca Linville White of Lewisville, Texas, descends from William S. Graham.
There are a number of records of John R. Graham in Mercer County. Following his father's death in 1855, he sold his inheritance to Thomas H. Hanks. This was 1/6 of all of the land, slaves and personal effects of Enoch Graham. This sale was recorded December 15, 1855, and was recorded in Deed Book 30, pages 259-260.
By 1860, John R. and his second family were residing in Boyle County and were listed in the census. John was a farmer.
It is not certain where John R. Graham went after this. However the family appears in the1880 Madison County.
In the 1860 Census Narcissa Cox was Nancy Goode Graham's niece and daughter of her sister who died in 1859.
Ed Clayton tells that John R. Graham died 5 Mar 1885 and is buried Richmond Cemetery, Madison County KY. The last record of her is the 1900 Census where Nancy lived with her daughter and next door to her son John R Jr in Clairborne Co TN. They were both railroad employees all their life and worked there in 1900.
Ed Clayton has submitted the following additional information on John R. Graham and his Second Family. Ed is looking for current cousins who might have information or photos. Please contact Ed (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you descend from this line.
John R. GRAHAM b.30Jun1805 d.5Mar1885 was married the second time to Nancy J. GOODE b.Jan1833 in KY on 4Oct1853 in Clay Co KY. Nancy was the product of a yours, mine (and probably ours) family. Her Mother was Malinda, maiden name unknown, and was married to a GORDIN (she signed the marriage permission of one of her sons Stage GORDIN as Malinda GOODE, Mother. Malinda's sons Stage and Ambrose both marrried as GORDIN and changed their name as married adults to GOODE over the following 10 years. Nancy Goode Graham died 19 Aug 1907 in Bell Co KY and is buried beside her Husband but with no Headstone.
The Children of this marriage between John R. and Nancy were:
1. Margaret Maggie GRAHAM b.19Jul1854 was married 26Sep1873 in Madison Co KY to Nathan TURPIN b. Nov1853. Nathan and Maggie lived in Madison Co KY and possibly had ll Children. Four of them were Mollie TURPIN b.Apr1875, Katie TURPIN b.1878, Mattie TURPIN b.1881 and Thomas TURPIN b.1885. Nathan TURPIN was the son of John and Elizabeth J. TURPIN of KY.
2. Martha A. Katie GRAHAM b.19Jul1855 was married 3Jun1881 in Davidson Co. TN to Hugh GRIGG b.Abt 1854 and they lived in Nashville TN. Katie and Hugh had 2 children, Hugh Letcher GRIGG b.Abt. 1890 and Martha J. GRIGG b.Abt.1896.
3. William S. GRAHAM b.12May1856 married Richard Florence JOHNSON, daughter of Sylvanus and Mary Brown JOHNSON. (source Lyndon Irwin)
4. Frances GRAHAM b.1858.
5. Jennie Lizzie J. GRAHAM b.1865 was married 20Oct1880 in Madison Co. KY to Hardin RICHARDSON.
6. Louisa Lulu GRAHAM b.28Apr1869 d.1Nov1926 was married 8Oct1889 in Boyle Co KY to Thomas Rice WARE b.18Jan1866 d.16Jul1956. They had one son Graham D. WARE b.Abt.1898 and he moved to FL. Tom and Lulu lived mostly in Pineville KY. Thomas Rice WARE was the son of Samuel B. and Sarah A. Hendricks Ware.
7. Nannie Mae GRAHAM b.14Sep1870 d.7Jan 1958 was married 14Apr1891 in Davidson Co. TN to Owen Dewitt BEARDEN. O.D. is the son of Peyton BEARDEN and Caroline Virginia PARKER(?, Probably). The 7 children of Nannie and O.D. are Robert Clarence BEARDEN b.14Mar1892, Virginia Mae BEARDEN b.8Aug1897, Katie Lee BEARDEN b.10Sep1899, Blanch Allene BEARDEN b.20Sep1901, Archie Dewitt BEARDEN b.10Jul1905, Margaret Ware BEARDEN b.24Feb1911, and Paul Harding BEARDEN b.7Apr1914. They started their family in Nashville and moved in 1900 to Atlanta GA. Ed descends from this direct line and anyone needing complete information on the descendants of Nannie to the present may contact Ed Clayton at email@example.com.
8. John R. GRAHAM b.Nov1872 married 1898 to Mildred Berksie Laura Harvey. b.Jul1877 in VA and they had one daughter Mildred Winifred L. GRAHAM b.Apr1899. They lived mostly in Gafney, Cherokee Co., SC. John Robert "Jack" Graham was John Robert as his youngest child from the 2nd Family was John Robert Graham, Jr.
If you have information about this line, please contact Ed. Click on this link to view Ed's comprehensive RootsWeb data
This page is designed and maintained by Lyndon Irwin.